Frequently Asked Questions

Q.  What are the requirements to become a blaster?
A.  The person must have two (2) years of experience, must be 21 years of age, and have no felonies.  A background check will be performed on each applicant.  Click on the following link for the applications and laws.

Q.  What do we need to submit to the State Fire Marshal's Office for a new Blaster's permit and a Contractor's permit?
A. For Blaster's permit - Blaster Application, Work Resume form, copies of other state licenses, 2x2 passport picture along with a check or money order for $100 made payable to the State Fire Marshal's Fund.   For Contractor's Permit - Contractor Application along with a check or money order for $2,000 made payable to the State Fire Marshal's Fund.   These forms  are located on our website.

Q.  What is the difference between a Retailer and Seasonal Retailer Fireworks Permit?
A.  A retailer can sell fireworks any time during the year as long as the building does not move.  A seasonal retailer for the season 6/15 to 7/10 or 12/15 to 01/02 can sell only during these two times.  If the building or stand is moved, an individual must reapply for a permit.  A seasonal retailer for the season of 12/15 to 01/02 can only sell during the Christmas and New Year's season.

Q.  What are the codes and requirements for having a fireworks stand?
A.  Please click here .

Q.  What are the requirements for sprinkler permits?
A.  The applicant must have passed the NICET level III test in order to apply for a permit.

Q.  Can I make an appointment for a daycare?
A.  The individual must call the State Fire Marshal's office and put in a request for an inspection to be performed.  This can take two (2) weeks to 30 working days to complete.

Q.  I need a copy of an investigation.
A.  A person must submit this request in writing to our office.  Please include the owner's name, address and the date of the fire along with a phone number that you can be reached at if we have any questions.  There is a charge of $1.00 per page for copies.  We will send a copy of the report along with an invoice for you to remit to our office.

Q.  Who can I contact if I have a question or need information about AFIRS?
A.   Assistant State Fire Marshal Scott Pilgreen at (334) 241-4166 or